8 Channel DIGI-LOG Microphone Preamplifier with 96 kHz Converters and ADAT Outputs
The XL48 from Midas Is an eight-channel microphone preamp featuring the company's XL4 preamps, each with swept high- and low-pass filters, and eight super-low jitter XL8 analogue-to-digital converters, all housed in a 19" single-space rack-mount chassis.
Applications for the unit include portable recording rigs, analogue and/or digital splits between consoles, or improving the input stage of other digital consoles with microphone preamps, converters, and a reference-grade clock.
The preamp provides analogue and digital outputs, the latter in both ADAT and AES/EBU formats.
A total of five outputs can be used simultaneously, making it a multi-functional analogue/digital microphone splitter, as well as being able to add eight external channel sources to a mix. Multiple clocking options are available, including syncing to external Wordclock.
Additional features include 8-segment LED input meters, individual phantom power, polarity invert, and a -20 dB pad. All inputs are on Neutrik XLR connectors, and duplicated on a 25-pin D-Sub connector.
- 8 channel DIGI-LOG microphone preamplifier
- Award-winning Midas XL4 analogue microphone preamplifiers with switchable +48 V phantom power
- Low latency 24 bit 96 kHz ADC converters with overload protection
- All-analogue Midas XL4 swept low and high pass filters per input
- 2 ADAT optical output ports with 75 ohm BNC connector for external word clock
- Selectable 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz sample rate operation
- Internal "AES Grade 1" temperature-compensated word clock (1 ppm)
- 8 inputs with Neutrik XLR connectors and parallel 25 way D-type connector
- Electronically balanced analogue outputs on a 25 way D-type connector
- Digital AES3 (AES/EBU) outputs on dual 25 way D-type connectors
- Rugged 1RU rackmount chassis for durability in portable applications
- Auto-ranging universal switch-mode power supply
- 10-Year Warranty Program
- Designed and engineered in the U.K.
In response to the many customer requests received over the years, the MIDAS XL48 DIG-LOG Microphone Preamplifier is a combination of the best of both analogue and digital worlds.
The Midas XL48 features eight classic XL4 series microphone preamplifiers in a 1RU 19" rackmount enclosure with the acclaimed low latency 24 bit 96 kHz ADC converters with overload protection from the MIDAS XL8 Live Performance System, and a precision reference clock oscillator with 1 part-per- million (ppm) stability.
Additional features include swept high and low pass filters, 8 segment LED input meters, and individual phantom power, polarity invert, and -20 dB pad switches per channel.
The XL48 features both analogue outputs and digital outputs in ADAT optical and AES3 formats and all outputs can be used simultaneously, allowing the XL48 to be used as a multi-function analogue and/or digital microphone splitter.
Multiple internal sample rates are supported, with the option to sync to external word clock.
The Midas XL48 is ideal for use in portable recording rigs, analogue and digital splits between consoles, or indeed augmenting the performance of other mixing consoles with its MIDAS XL4 microphone preamplifiers, XL8 analogue-to-digital conversion and precision reference-grade 1 ppm internal clock oscillator.
Award-Winning MIDAS XL4 Microphone Preamplifier
The MIDAS microphone preamplifier is considered by leading live sound and recording engineers to be the very essence of the famous MIDAS sound.
Decades of design experience paired with the finest choice of premium-grade components lead to the acclaimed warmth and depth - bringing out subtle ambience, maintaining spatial positioning and more effectively capturing a precise sound image.
The acclaimed sound of the award-winning MIDAS microphone preamplifier has inspired generations of live sound engineers to their best work, creating sonic panoramas that have captivated audiences worldwide.
Since pristine sound always begins with the microphone preamplifier, the first point where the signal enters the console, the XL48 features the legendary MIDAS XL4 microphone preamplifier design, which faithfully reproduces every sonic detail so no part of a performance will ever be missed.
Transparent and pristine sound, low noise and high common-mode rejection are all hallmarks of this classic design.
Over the years many mix engineers have found this robust and overload-tolerant design takes on a whole new dimension of sound when driven hard, the crystal-clear audiophile reproduction giving way to just the right combination of harmonics, a warm and organic sound heard by millions of concert goers and recorded for posterity on countless live albums over the years.
Multiple Sample Rates
The Midas XL48 supports 24 bit audio operation at 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz and 96 kHz from its internal precision “AES Grade 1” reference temperature-compensated clock oscillator with 1 part-per-million (ppm) stability. This highly accurate clock source can be used as the reference clock for digital audio systems, providing a very defined sound image free of jitter and other digital clocking error artefacts.
The XL48 also supports the same sample rates when clocked from external word clock, and both word clock input and output are provided on 75 Ω BNC connectors.
The XL48 features parallel-connected analogue inputs on both XLR and 25 way D-type connectors. Electronically balanced analogue outputs are also provided on a 25 way D-type connector.
In the digital domain, AES3 (AES/EBU) outputs are provided on dual 25 way D-type connectors, and dual TOSLINK optical connectors are provided for the ADAT outputs to allow for operation at both standard 44.1/48 kHz and high 88.2/96 kHz sample rates.
Built for the Road
Featuring a rugged steel 1RU rackmount enclosure, the XL48 is designed for the rigours of live concert touring. Premium Neutrik connectors are used to ensure reliable audio connections, night after night.
Auto-ranging universal switch-mode power supply
The Midas XL48 features a universal power supply, which is auto-voltage sensing for use on a worldwide basis.
Maximum Input Level
- Inputs: Eight XLR connectors and one 25-way D-Type connector (parallel connected).
- Mic/Line: +11 dBu
- Mic/Line + Pad: +31 dBu
- Preamplifier gain: +10 dB to + 60 dB
CMRR at 1KHz (Typical)
- Mic (gain +40 dB): > 80 dB
- Mic + Pad (gain +40 dB): > 70 dB
- Mic EIN at +60 dB gain: -128 dBu
- Mic EIN at +40 dB gain: -125 dBu
- Output noise at minimum gain: -95 dBu
- Frequency response: +0 dB to -1 dB (20 Hz to 20 kHz)
- THD+N at 1 kHz: 0.03% (Input to output with unity gain)
- Crosstalk at 1 kHz: < -90 dB
- High pass filter slope: 12 dB/octave
- Low pass filter slope: 12 dB/octave
- High pass filter range: 10 Hz to 400 Hz
- Low pass filter range: 1 kHz to 40 kHz
Maximum Output Level
- Line outputs (into 600 Ohms): +21 dBu
- Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz
- Bit rate: 24 Bit
- Dynamic range: >110 dB (20 Hz-20 kHz)
- Analogue audio inputs: 3 pin XLR and 25 way D-type connector (parallel connected)
- Analogue audio outputs: 25 way D-type connector
- AES3 digital outputs: 25 way D-type connector (x2)
- ADAT digital outputs: TOSLINK optical connector (x2)
- Word clock input: 75 O BNC connector
- Word clock output: 75 O BNC connector