Zoom H8 12 Track 8 Input Portable Handy Recorder
- Calculated at Checkout
Introducing the all new Zoom H8 Handy Recorder
The only recorder that adapts to your way of creating
12 simultaneous recording tracks, interchangeable capsules, and an App-driven touchscreen interface, the H8 is designed to meet all your audio recording needs.
- Customised applications for field recording, music and podcasting
- 3 distinct interfaces for field recording, music and podcasting
- Interchangeable input capsules
- 12-track simultaneous recording
- Four mic inputs and two XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Gain control knobs and -20 dB pads for each input
- Supplied XYH-6 X/Y capsule provides secondary input via a stereo ⅛” Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Phantom power for four main XLR inputs: +12/+24/+48V
- Large colour LCD touchscreen display
- Records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 512 GB
- Up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record functions mean that you'll never miss that perfect take
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression, and limiting
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
There's an app for your workflow
Whether you’re capturing audio on location, recording music, or producing a podcast, the H8 colour touchscreen adapts to your project’s needs with three App-driven interface options - all with the touch of your finger.
- The PODCAST App - The PODCAST App makes high-production quality simple. With dedicated Sound Pads, use the touch screen to trigger sound effects, music beds and more. Choose from 13 high quality sounds or load your own via an SD card. The Podcast app accommodates up to 4 mics and two Sound Pad channels.
- The MUSIC App - The MUSIC App puts all the important controls at your fingertips: audio levels, faders, metering and more. With 10 inputs and 12 tracks, capturing a large group is easy. Mix, overdub, and enhance your recordings with EQ and compression. Connect to Zoom’s Guitar Lab via USB to access an endless assortment of amps and effects.
- The FIELD App - The FIELD App is ideal for location sound, sound design, conferences, and more. It gives you instant access to large meters for every track, so you can make sure your recordings never clip. Adjust input type, lo-cut, compress, limiter, noise gate, and other key settings.
The Mic Capsule
The H8 comes with the Zoom XYH-6 microphone. This capsule provides two matched high-quality unidirectional mics, for capturing signal directly in front of the recorder. With the Zoom interchangeable mic capsule system you can easily swap capsules to ensure you’re always using the right mic for the job.
Next Generation Capsule System
Zoom’s Capsule System 2.0 allows up to 4 channels of audio to be added to the H8's capsule connection, creating new ways to expand your recording capabilities.
XAH-8 - Combination XY/AB Mic
The XAH-8 capsule delivers pristine stereo recordings. Easily rotate the capsules from a tight XY pattern to a wide AB pattern to enhance the stereo image of your recordings.
VRH-8- Ambisonic Mic
The VRH-8 is an Ambisonic mic capsule that utilises four condenser microphones to deliver immersive 360 audio recordings. A built-in accelerometer helps ensure the capsule is always perfectly aligned, while the on-board Ambisonic decoder automatically handles the necessary conversions, saving you time in post-production.
EXH-8 - Expander Capsule
The EXH-8 capsule provides 4 additional XLR inputs, giving you a total of 10. Each additional input has a dedicated gain knob and pad switch. You can even use your favourite condenser microphones—just connect a power source to the EXH-8 capsule to supply phantom power.
You can monitor level meters and hit REC,PLAY, and STOP in each H8 application mode. Just insert the BTA-1 to your H8 and connect to your iOS device.
*BTA-1 sold separately
Inputs and Outputs
H8 offers 4 XLR inputs with dedicated pad switches and gain control. 2 additional XLR/TRS combo jacks with Hi-Z switches allow you to capture line level signals, microphones, or directly record electric guitars and basses.
Monitor tracks using the built-in 1/8” headphone output or connect directly to your camera using the dedicated stereo line output.
Multi Channel Audio Interface
The H8 is a powerful USB audio interface. Connect via USB to your PC, Mac, or iPad for up to 12 channels of simultaneous recording.
Recording Time and File Formats
Get more than 20 hours of recording time from just 4 AA batteries. Or record forever with the optional AD-17 adaptor. The H8 records BWF-compliant WAV and MP3 files in any of the following formats:
- 44.1 kHz/16 Bit
- 44.1 kHz/24 Bit
- 48 kHz/16 Bit
- 48 kHz/24 Bit
- 96 kHz/16 Bit
- 96 kHz/24 Bit
State of the Art Editing
The Zoom H8 comes with a free download license for Cubase LE and Steinberg’s WaveLab Cast software. WaveLab Cast helps you to finalise your project with a wide range of comprehensive editing, mixing, and refinement tools.
Podcasting - WaveLab Cast connects you directly with podcast directories, such as Spreaker or Podbean. You can upload episodes quickly, plus directly create and publish RSS feeds.
Audio for Video - Import your video file and WaveLab Cast will automatically extract the audio. You can use the editing tools to lower unwanted noise, change levels and remove loud sibilants. Metering options allow you to build new tracks, fade-in your music, use EQ and compression. Re-attach the audio to the video file using WaveLab Cast’s export functions.
Field Recording - WaveLab Cast supports up to 96KHz audio quality and includes a high-end re-sampler. RestoreRig removes noise and unwanted sounds. You can assemble new files using the snap functions and crossfade options. Once you’re done, export your sound files in any popular audio format.
What's in the box?
- Zoom H8 Handy Recorder
- Zoom XYH-6 X/Y Mic Capsule
- AA Batteries (x 4)
- Quick Guide
- NUMBER OF INPUT CHANNELS: 8 (XY mic capsule, 1-4, A, B)
- NUMBER OF OUTPUT CHANNELS: 2 (stereo headphone and stereo line)
- MIC IN: ZOOM mic connector
- INPUT 1-4: XLR jacks (2: HOT)
- INPUT A/B: XLR/TRS combo jacks (XLR: 2 hot, TRS: TIP hot)
- USB: USB Micro-B(audio interface, mass storage and Guitar Lab connection functions)Note: Use a USB cable that supports data transfer.Operation using USB bus power is possible.
- REMOTE: ZOOM BTA-1 or other dedicated wireless adapter
- LINE OUT: 3.5 mm stereo mini
- PHONE OUT: 3.5 mm stereo mini
- PHANTOM POWER: +24 V/+48 V (independent ON/OFF for INPUTS 1–4, A and B)
- RECORDING MEDIA: Cards that support SD/SDHC/SDXC specifications
- FORMATS WAV: 44.1/48/96 kHz, 16/24-bit, mono/stereoMP3: 128, 192, 320 kbps
- MAXIMUM SIMULTANEOUS RECORDING TRACKS: 12 (MIC IN, backup recording, 1-4, A, B, and LR)
- MULTITRACK MODE: 44.1/48/96 kHz, 16/24-bit, 12-in/2-out
- STEREO MIX MODE: 44.1/48 kHz, 24-bit, 2-in/2-out
- TUNER: Chromatic/Guitar/Bass/Open A/Open D/Open E/Open G/DADGAD
- BUILT-IN SPEAKER: 400 mW 8Ω mono speaker
- DISPLAY: 2.4" (320×240) full-color touchscreen LCD
- POWER: 4 AA batteries (alkaline, NiMH or lithium)AC adapter (ZOOM AD-17): DC 5 V/1AUSB bus power. Using XY mic, 44.1 kHz/24-bit (stereo × 1): about 15:00. These values are approximate. Continuous battery operation times were determined using in-house testing methods. They will vary greatly according to use conditions.
- H8 116.4 mm (W) × 163.3 mm (D) × 48.6 mm (H)
- XYH-6 78.9 mm (W) × 60.2 mm (D) × 45.2 mm (H)
- H8: 354 g
- XYH-6: 130 g
Note: When using a USB cable designed for recharging, audio interface, SD card reader and Guitar Lab connection functions cannot be used.